Happy New Year's + 2020 Reading List


Oh darlings, it's the last day of 2019 and all I can think about is books. This has been a year of rampant reading for me, and honestly I wouldn't have it any other way. I've read more in 2019 than I've read in several years, and it's been immensely enjoyable for me. When you start writing professionally, it gets harder and harder to actually read books for pleasure, but I think it's so important. Not just for me as a writer, but just for me as a person. I want to be the sort of person who reads books. I want to die having read 1000, 2000, 3000 books. I want literature to be the big thing that defines me when people look back on me. Maybe not the people I know the best, but people in general.

As such, I'm already looking towards 2020 to see what's on the literary horizon. I'll talk about what I have coming at a later date, but right now I really just want to talk about what I'm looking forward to reading. There aren't necessarily a ton of books on my radar, but I have a few.

Garret Leigh is not an author that I'm terribly familiar with. Can't even say for sure that I've read one of their books. But when The Edge of the World came across my feed, I knew that it was going on my to read list. A damaged rock singer, friends to lovers, and a road trip? It sounds like a perfect combination for me.

Next on my list of books to watch is The Haunted Heart: Spring by Josh Lanyon. Lanyon is an author I'm more familiar with than Leigh, but I'm not an aficionado. A 60+ book back list is not something to trifle with, even for the most hardcore reader. But in general, what I've read of Lanyon's, I've enjoyed greatly. That includes The Haunted Heart. We started in Winter, and now the second book is coming out. So of course I'm going to jump straight on it. I mean, maybe it's a big gay stereotype, but all it took to hook me was an antique dealer.

But my biggest book of the year, the one that really has me excited, is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. Klune is very easily my favorite M/M author, and I'm so excited to see his return to publishing after the Dumpster fire of Dreamspinner Press. He also has a young adult book coming in 2020, but for my money, give me The House on the Cerulean Sea.

Is that all I'm going to read? Of course not. But as of right now, these are the ones on my radar right now. Do you have any releases you're looking forward to? Let me know so I can expand out my own reading list for the new decade.

Happy New Year,
Raven

Comments